OKC Thunder: Scott Brooks took one (technical) for the team
The normally docile Thunder coach no doubt was hoping a technical might fire up his team.
Videoview all videos
May 30Kevin Durant scored 31 points, but OKC trailed the entire...
May 30Darnell Mayberry and John Rohde break down San Antonio's...
Photoview all 34 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Kendrick Perkins deliberately fouled Splitter two straight times, then Nick Collison fouled him, then Durant, the Collison again. Each foul stopped the clock and the game started to crawl, both of which helped slow San Antonio's runaway train.
Splitter converted 5 of 10 free throws before being replaced by Tim Duncan.
Through three quarters, the Thunder still trailed by 16 (92-76), but the Spurs at least began facing some resistance in the final period.
Spurred by 12 fourth-quarter points from James Harden and 11 points from Russell Westbrook, OKC chipped away at the San Antonio lead.
With 5:40 left in the game, the Thunder pulled to within 99-93, but got no closer.
Spurs point guard Tony Parker dissected the OKC defense with surgical precision all night, draining 16 of 21 shots for 34 points and also handing out seven assists. Manu Ginobili added 20 points off the bench.
Afterward, Durant and Westbrook were asked about the team's resilience, but neither took solace.
“We're not here to try to make it a close game or try to make it a good fight,” Westbrook said. “We're trying to win. We lost tonight.”
The Spurs lead 2-0 in the series, which now goes to OKC for Games 3 and 4 on Thursday and Saturday.
“They did their job of taking care of home court,” Westbrook said, “and now we get a chance to go back home.”
Will the Thunder bring some nasty with them?
“We have to play better,” Brooks said. “We have to do everything better.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley