OKC Thunder: Serge Ibaka finishes second in Defensive Player of the Year voting
Thunder forward Serge Ibaka finished a close second to New York center Tyson Chandler for Defensive Player of the Year.
Thunder forward Serge Ibaka finished a close second to New York center Tyson Chandler for Defensive Player of the Year, the league announced Wednesday.
Videoview all videos
May 2Can Kevin Durant break out of his shooting slump? Berry...
May 2The Thunder star has been in a shooting rut in the past...
May 2Who will take Game 3 in the Thunder-Mavs series of the...
Photoview all 50 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Chandler garnered 45 first-place votes, 25 second-place votes and 11 third-place votes to tally 311 points. Ibaka received 41 first-place votes, 24 second-place votes and 17 first-place votes to finish with 294 points.
A panel of 121 sportswriters and broadcasters voted on the award, with five points awarded for each first-place vote, three points for each second-place vote and one point for each third-place vote.
Ibaka led the league in total blocked shots for the second consecutive season, registering 241 in 66 games this year. His 3.65 blocks per game became the highest average by a player since Theo Ratliff in the 2000-01 season. Ibaka recorded at least 10 blocked shots in three games this season, the first time a player has done that since Shawn Bradley in the 1995-96 season.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 14862OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11951Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8347Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6661Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6166Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5685Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4422Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?