OKC Thunder: That lovable team is bringing some sandpaper to the table
COMMENTARY -- This magnificent ballteam is as villain-worthy as any in the NBA. The lovable Thunder has become hateable, too.
Serge Ibaka took a swipe at Blake Griffin's family jewels Sunday and all kinds of things changed.
One, the ballgame. Ibaka went all Gorgeous George, only this time the refs saw the flagrant foul, imperiling a Thunder victory.
Videoview all videos
Mar 1This week on Thunder Insider, mid-season acquisitions....
Feb 28Kemp writes, "I am very displeased with the fact that KD...
Photoview all 6 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Two, this rivalry. The Clippers and Thunder weren't sitting around singing campfire songs even before the South Central assault. This was a nasty game, and a potential West semifinal series might require football pads.
And finally, gone surely is the last national remnant of America thinking of the Thunder as boy scouts. This magnificent ballteam is as villain-worthy as any in the NBA. Heat. Lakers. Celtics. Clippers. The lovable Thunder has become hateable, too.
I know, we all still like to think of the Thunder as baby Boomers. Guys just off the train, ultra-talented but ultra-innocent, walking around the big city with wallets in their front pockets, saying gee whiz and aw shucks.
Maybe that's what the Thunder was three years ago. Not today.
This Thunder team is more biker bar than church choir. This Thunder snarls and glares. Sharpens its spikes and leads with its head. This Thunder team douses its food with garlic:
* Kendrick Perkins' hockey-like enforcing; nothing cuddly about Gran Torino.
* Russell Westbrook's brooding; Westbrook has replaced LeBron as the most psychologically analyzed player in the NBA.
* Kevin Durant's 12 technical fouls, second-most in the league. The Thunder moans and complains with the best of 'em.
* And now Ibaka's tomahawk chop, hitting Griffin where it hurts, which is frowned upon by the Marquess of Queensbury or even in most alley fights. I assume it's a no-no in The Congo, too.
Ibaka is headed for a one-game suspension, almost certainly Tuesday night against the Lakers. The NBA office is open Mondays. Not even Thunder diehards can defend Ibaka's punch.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort