OKC Thunder: Kendrick Perkins' recovery could take several days or weeks
KENDRICK PERKINS -- The Thunder center suffered a strained hip flexor in Game 4. Coach Scott Brooks said he probably would not have played if there had been a Game 5 Monday. But the Thunder's four-game sweep of Dallas buys Perkins and Oklahoma City some much-needed time.
Shortly after Kendrick Perkins left in the first quarter of Game 4 on Saturday night, Thunder coach Scott Brooks soon learned his starting center would not return against the Dallas Mavericks.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Two days later, Perkins' exact return remained unknown.
“I'm sure in the next couple days we'll have a better understanding,” Brooks said during a noon interview session Monday.
OKC officials list players as “day-to-day” when the severity of an injury is in the process of being diagnosed, a stage where Perkins remained two days after the Thunder swept the defending world champions in the opening round of the NBA playoffs.
An MRI on Sunday confirmed Perkins suffered a right hip muscle strain and his “return to play will be based on his progress and recovery in the coming days.”
The amount of recovery time depends on the severity of the strain – mild, moderate or severe – plus the amount of pain, swelling and potential loss of strength in the affected muscle.
Rest and treatments are the primary course of action. Recovery could take several days to several weeks.
Perkins' potential absence in the playoffs could severely damage OKC's chances of advancing against the winner of the Los Angeles Lakers-Denver Nuggets series, which the Lakers lead 3-1 with Game 5 on Tuesday night in Los Angeles.
Imagine the ramifications had the Thunder not been able to overcome a 13-point deficit in the final 9½ minutes of Game 4 to win 103-97.
Game 5 would have been at Chesapeake Energy Arena on Monday night. Would Perkins have played?
“Hmmm,” Brooks said, a smile creeping slowly on his face. “That's a great question. Is there a Game 5 today? That's a hypothetical … but probably not.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister