OKC Thunder's Russell Westbrook named NBA All-Star reserve
Oklahoma City will have two representatives in the NBA All-Star Game in Orlando. Russell Westbrook was chosen as a reserve, joining teammate Kevin Durant, who will start for the West.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. â€“ Shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday, reserves for this year's NBA All-Star Game were revealed.
Roughly 2Â˝ hours later, though their emotions no doubt were headed in opposite directions, Thunder guards Russell Westbrook and James Harden insisted they were thinking solely about the game they were about to play against the Sacramento Kings at Power Balance Pavilion.
NewsOK Related Articles
For the second straight season, Westbrook will join teammate Kevin Durant on the Western Conference roster. Harden, however, did not receive enough votes from Western coaches to earn one of his conference's seven reserve spots.
â€śHe's played All-Star level basketball, so he's an All-Star in my eyes,â€ť OKC coach Scott Brooks said.
Brooks said he had no concerns Harden would be ready to face the Kings in what would be the fourth game of the Thunder's five-game road trip, and Harden concurred.
â€śOh, of course I'm ready,â€ť Harden said as he walked from the locker room to the court for his pregame warm-up session. â€śWe're here to play a game, and I'm ready to go.â€ť
Harden shrugged off not being selected. â€śI only worry about the things I can control,â€ť he said.
Seated in the locker room stall next to Harden, a sweating Westbrook was about to begin his cooling down period by watching a replay of the Kingsâ€™ game Tuesday at Minnesota.
â€śI've still got to be focused on tonight's game, but at the same time I'm thankful to my teammates coaches, family, for this opportunity,â€ť Westbrook said of his selection.
Brooks said he always has viewed All-Star selections as a direct reflection of the entire team.
â€śAbsolutely,â€ť Westbrook said with a nod. â€śWe've grown together, gotten better and we're winning. That's the biggest thing. As long as you're winning, you're in good shape. We're together, man. We're so close right now, especially on the road. We've become a lot closer.â€ť
This year's All-Star Game will be played Feb. 26 at Orlando.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson â€“ One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit