Oklahoma appeals court orders name change in transgender case
The Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals ordered a name change in a transgender case to an applicant who had gender reassignment surgery last December to switch from a man to a woman.
Videoview all videos
Sep 14An Oklahoma County judge is refusing to let men planning...
Photoview all 8 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“The relevant issue in a name change proceeding is not whether the applicant's DNA corresponds with the traditionally male or female name preferred by the applicant. The statute does not change the sex of the applicant, only the applicant's name.”
Most Oklahoma County district judges routinely grant name changes in transgender cases.
“It's an inconvenience when you have a driver's license that has your female picture and the name is still Steven,” Harvey said. “It's just a sad thing when there's somebody like Judge Graves in the system.”
Harvey reported spending more than $18,000 in legal fees to challenge the judge's denial.
“I guess the guy gets his name changed,” the judge told The Oklahoman.
Other name case
The judge in August also denied a name change in another transgender case. The judge refused to let James Dean Ingram, 30, of Oklahoma City, switch to the name Angela Renee Ingram. The judge told Ingram, “You can't change what God gave you.”
Ingram also has appealed the judge's denial.
Ingram dresses in women's clothes and takes hormones that have produced physical changes but has not had surgery yet.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13360Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9892Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9697Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8639Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6622Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5282Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister