Oklahoma Baptist youth conference returns to Tulsa
Oklahoma Baptist youths will gather for annual evangelism conference in Tulsa for first time in 30 years.
TULSA — For the first time in three decades, the annual Oklahoma Baptist Youth Evangelism Conference will be held in Tulsa.
About 8,000 young people from across the state will attend the event Friday and Aug 11 at the Mabee Center at Oral Roberts University, 7777 S Lewis.
“This is a kind of back-to-school event, to challenge students to make an impact in their schools,” said Norman Flowers, student evangelism and mobilization specialist for the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma.
Flowers said the youth conference started in 1971 and has been held in Oklahoma City since the early 1980s.
Speakers will be Afshin Ziafat, of Houston, an Iranian who was raised in the Muslim faith and converted to Christianity, and Derwin Gray, former linebacker for the Indianapolis Colts, who pastors a church that Outreach Magazine says is the second-fastest growing church in the nation.
Music will be provided by Tenth Avenue North, Kutless, Jamie Grace, Coffey Anderson and the Dutton Band.
Friday, 2,000 of the students will meet at the Church at BattleCreek in Broken Arrow to package 200,000 high-nutrition dry meals to be sent to Egypt.
The cost of the conference is $17 in advance and $20 at the door. To register or for more information, call 942-3000, ext. 4388.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister