Oklahoma basketball: Aaryn Ellenberg complements 27 points with no turnovers in OU's win over UC-Riverside
Ellenberg takes care of the basketball; in two previous games, she had 10 turnovers. OU improves to 9-2 after whipping UC-Riverside.
NORMAN — Aaryn Ellenberg answered a postgame question Thursday about her game-high 27 points in Oklahoma's 70-46 win over UC-Riverside at Lloyd Noble Center.
“It's about me taking smarter shots,” Ellenberg said. “Not trying to force it and do it all myself.”
Sooners coach Sherri Coale leaned toward Ellenberg and softly said, “Tell them which statistical category you're most proud of today.”
She paused for a few seconds, then remembered, “No turnovers.”
Ellenberg handled the ball with care Thursday, as opposed to the 10 turnovers she committed over her last two outings.
“Thank you; I was about to have to play Jeopardy music to get her to the right answer,” Coale joked.
The Sooners (9-2) have just one nonconference game left — Dec. 29's home game against Cal State Northridge — before Big 12 play begins; with a roster devastated by season-ending injuries, taking care of the basketball will be crucial if Oklahoma is to reach a 14th consecutive NCAA Tournament.
UC-Riverside (6-4) never led Thursday, but it pulled within four points of Oklahoma late in the first half.
The Sooners, though, went into halftime up 10 points, and increased their lead to as high as 30 midway through the second half.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17743Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11674Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10443Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10260OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10191Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9850Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9805Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments