Oklahoma basketball: Amath M'Baye nets 19 as OU beats West Virginia
Amath M'Baye scored 19 points and Je'lon Hornbeak had 14 as Oklahoma beat West Virginia 77-70 in the third-place game Sunday night at the Old Spice Classic.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Amath M'Baye scored 19 points and Je'lon Hornbeak had 14 as Oklahoma beat West Virginia 77-70 in the third-place game Sunday night at the Old Spice Classic.
Andrew Fitzgerald added nine points for Oklahoma (4-1)
West Virginia (1-3) got 15 points from Juwan Staten. Gary Browne and Deniz Kilicli had 13 apiece.
Both teams split two games earlier in the classic. Oklahoma beat Texas-El Paso 68-61, but lost to No. 17 Gonzaga 72-47. West Virginia topped Marist 87-44 and was defeated 63-60 by Davidson.
This was just the second time in Big 12 history that two league teams have met in a regular season, nonconference contest.
M'Baye said getting an early win against a conference opponent was important for the Sooners.
“We're probably going to play them two or three times, and having that little edge on them is something that feels good,” M'Baye said. “It's good to know that we've beat them before so we can beat them again. It's better that they come in the Big 12 knowing what to expect."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law