Oklahoma basketball: No. 22 Sooners fall to No. 24 Iowa State
NORMAN — Oklahoma coach Sherri Coale read line-by-line through the final statistics Thursday following her team’s 72-68 loss to Iowa State.
“We shot better from the 2 than they did,” Coale said. “We shot better from the 3 than they did. We shot better from the free-throw line than they did. We had more rebounds than they did. We had more assists than they did.
“And we lost. That doesn’t happen very often.”
Oklahoma, though, also committed 26 fouls to Iowa State’s 17, causing four Sooner starters — Joanna McFarland, Aaryn Ellenberg, Morgan Hook and Sharane Campbell — to foul out.
“It was not a very pretty basketball game,” Coale said. “That’s for sure. ... I don’t know when I’ve had four or five starters foul out. I’ve never seen it.”
Hook and Ellenberg each fouled out in the game’s final 20 seconds, but McFarland’s and Campbell’s fifth fouls came with around five minutes remaining — and Iowa State beginning to pull away.
“We worked really hard on that the last couple weeks in practice, of being more aggressive, taking the ball off the bounce, trying to get the ball in the post more,” said Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly.
“When you go on the road, you have to be in attack mode. And when we’ve lost a couple games, we’ve been a little timid.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater