Oklahoma basketball: Romero Osby knows when it's time for business
With Kansas coming to town, Saturday will be on of those days when Osby puts his nose to the stone.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
No. 5 Kansas vs. Oklahoma
*When: 3 p.m. Saturday
*Where: Norman, Okla. (Lloyd Noble Center – 12,000)
*Radio: KOKC 1520 AM (OKC), KTBZ 1430 AM (Tulsa); Sirius 91; XM 91
THREE THINGS TO KNOW
*Despite opening the season with 18 consecutive win, Kansas has dropped their last two Big 12 games – against Oklahoma State and TCU.
*Oklahoma is averaging 57 points and shooting .375 from the field in the past two games in which the Sooners scored 114 points. It's the lowest two-game total of the season.
*A win against the Jayhawks would be the Sooners' first home victory against Kansas since Feb. 21, 2005.
“It's kind of the same that you've got to be a leader on the court and off the court,” Osby said. “You've got to be patient. I can talk to say something to my wife that maybe I can't say to (Andrew Fitzgerald) in the sense of Fitz is a different type of person and I may approach him a different way than my wife.”
Like a businessman, Osby is constantly analyzing — be it numbers, schemes or personalities.
The senior forward looks serious, if not boring.
Or as senior guard Steven Pledger puts it, “like an old man.”
“He just acts like an old guy, but he's cool though,” Pledger said. “He's funny.”
Pledger and Fitzgerald mentioned different points in practice when Osby drops his guard and acts a little silly.
“He slips tiny jokes into practice here or there,” Fitzgerald said.
Osby admitted he's not all serious all the time. Especially when it comes to his daughter, Saniya.
“She doesn't know if he won or lost,” Pledger said of the way Osby acts at home. “She doesn't really care. He's humble about it. Every time with her is just playtime.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister