Oklahoma basketball: San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin is more than just a dunk artist
While the Aztecs' guard is known most for his alley-oop-to-himself dunk that went viral, he leads the team in points, rebounds and assists.
When San Diego State guard Jamaal Franklin alley-ooped to himself back in January during the Aztecs' first Mountain West Conference game of the season, the dunk went viral.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The Huffington Post picked it up. USA Today. Yahoo! Sports. The Los Angeles Times.
Even Oklahoma's players saw it.
“Oh, yes” Sooner freshman Buddy Hield said when asked about Franklin's dunk. “But it's not going to happen against us.”
It might not happen because a guy like Amath M'Baye may block it. It might not happen because it is quite a risky shot to take in an NCAA Tournament game. Regardless, there's more to Franklin than his one-man alley-oop.
Franklin leads the Aztecs in scoring (16.7 points per game), rebounding (9.5 per game) and assists (3.2 per game). Oh, and don't forget about steals (1.5). He was named the Mountain West MVP in 2012.
There's more. He is the only player in the nation this year who leads his team in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals.
Oklahoma senior Sam Grooms said Franklin is a guy that gets overlooked because he plays in the Mountain West.
“If he played in a big league like the Big 12 or the Big Ten or something like that I think he would get much more attention,” Grooms said. “But as far as a player, I think he is extremely good. He rebounds extremely well for a guard and just plays hard.”
Grooms further defined Franklin as a “rugged, blue-collar guy.”
Franklin came to SDSU as a zero-star recruit on Rivals.com. Now, he has a chance to be a first-round selection in the NBA Draft.
Oklahoma coach Lon Kruger is well-versed on Franklin's many talents. The former UNLV coach saw the then-freshman score seven points in eight minutes against his Rebels during a semifinal game of the Mountain West Conference Tournament in 2011. SDSU went on to win that game 74-72.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M