Oklahoma basketball: Sooners fall to Kansas State
Oklahoma lost 69-60 loss to Kansas State after being down 35-27 at halftime.
NewsOK Related Articles
Oklahoma began the second half with a 3-pointer from senior Steven Pledger at 17:33 to bring Oklahoma to 39-32. Until that basket, Pledger had been nearly silent — scoring only two points in the first half. But the senior guard didn't go off on a shooting spree like his 30-point game last year in Manhattan. Pledger produced nothing until he put another shot up from 3-point range with five minutes remaining in the game.
The Sooners stumbled, watched Will Spradling put up more threes and then watched guard Angel Rodriguez score eight points in six minutes. During that time, Osby earned six points off jumpers, layups and putbacks. He finished with 12 points, tied with Amath M'Baye for the Sooners' team high.
“I never really had a chance to attack the big guy,” Osby said. “They made it tough on me. ... The odds were against me a little bit tonight, but it is not about me, it is about my team. When I am not scoring, we have other people stepping up, which is great.”
The fact is, though, during Osby's first-half struggles, the highest scorers were freshman Buddy Hield and Fitzgerald with six points. By that point, Kansas State already had two players in double figures.
Osby said the Sooners will dwell on the loss Saturday night and then move on Sunday to their next game, which is against Texas on Big Monday.
However, Osby will deliver a message to his teammates about this game.
“That it's going to be like this,” Osby said. “Every time we step out. Playing against another good Big 12 team is always going to be like this, especially in their house.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort