Oklahoma basketball: Sooners spoil West Virginia's Big 12 debut
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. — Romero Osby and Steven Pledger scored in double figures for Oklahoma to negate an outstanding day by West Virginia freshman Terry Henderson Saturday as the Mountaineers lost their inaugural Big 12 game 67-57.
Osby had 21 points and nine rebounds, and Pledger added 12 as the Sooners (10-3) beat the Mountaineers (7-6) for the second time this year. The two league opponents met in a nonconference game in a Thanksgiving tournament, which did not count in the standings.
Oklahoma closed the game on a 16-2 run that included two treys from Pledger.
Henderson, who previously scored 23 points in a loss to Michigan, notched 21 points Saturday, including six 3-pointers, all in the first half.
Two other Mountaineers finished in double figures — Jabarie Hinds (11) and Juwan Staten (10). West Virginia scored nine 3s in the first half, but knocked down only seven field goals after intermission.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21911Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17670Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12642Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10331Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9974Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9639Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7768OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures