Oklahoma basketball: Texas Tech notches first Big 12 win with 65-47 victory over OU
OU BASKETBALL — Any hopes the OU men's basketball team had for postseason play took a major hit Saturday with a loss to last-place Texas Tech.
LUBBOCK, Texas — Javaris Willis scored a career-high 21 points and Robert Lewandowski had 16 to lead Texas Tech over Oklahoma 65-47 on Saturday night, giving the Red Raiders their first Big 12 win.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Texas Tech (8-16, 1-11) ended an 11-game losing streak. The Red Raiders never trailed in the second half and used a 17-5 run, with Lewandowski getting 12 of the points, to go up 51-37 with about seven minutes remaining.
Oklahoma (13-11, 3-9) lost its fourth straight.
The Sooners didn't shoot like a team that ranks third in the Big 12 in 3-pointers. Sam Groom hit the team's first shot from behind the arc with 4:42 remaining.
Andrew Fitzgerald scored 14 points to lead Oklahoma. The Sooners' leading scorer, Steven Pledger, had just four points, far below his 17.8-point average.
The win ended Texas Tech coach Billy Gillispie's longest losing streak. Gillispie lost eight straight in his first year at UTEP in 2003.
Willis finished 8 for 12 from the field and was 2 for 4 from beyond the arc. Lewandowski went 1 for 7 in the first half and finished 8 for 19.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims