Oklahoma business briefs
Oklahoma business briefs for Dec. 25.
A welding error by a supplier has forced the recall of 119,000 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon trucks from the 2010 through 2012 model years, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The error, discovered by General Motors during the inspection of faulty hoods on several vehicles, caused a secondary latch to be left off the construction of the hood. If the primary hood latch is not engaged, the hood could open unexpectedly. During vehicle operation, this could obstruct the view of the driver and increase the risk of a crash, the NHTSA said Monday. GM said that while inspecting a hood from one of the vehicles last month, it found there was no evidence of welds for the mandated secondary latch, suggesting that the latch assembly missed the weld station at the latch plate supplier.
Possible port strike could affect nation's retailers and farmers
The nation's retailers, manufacturers and farmers are bracing for a possible strike that could idle U.S. ports all along the Eastern Seaboard and Gulf Coast. That walkout could begin as early as Sunday after the midnight Saturday expiration of a 90-day extension of a contract between the International Longshoremen's Association and several shipping lines, terminal operators and port associations. U.S. military shipments and so-called “bulk” cargo that is not carried in 20-foot to 40-foot long steel cargo containers would not be affected. But the vast majority of the goods sold by U.S. retailers would be affected, as would a portion of the country's agricultural exports.
From Staff and Wire Reports
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena