Oklahoma CareerTech Department names new director
An Ohio education services executive will be the next director of the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, officials announced. Bob Sommers, of Middletown, Ohio, will begin work with CareerTech in April.
STILLWATER — An Ohio education services executive will be the next director of the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, officials announced.
Bob Sommers, of Middletown, Ohio, will begin work with CareerTech in April. Sommers is the chief executive officer of Carpe Diem Learning Systems, a learning services company.
Before going to work for Carpe Diem, Sommers served in several capacities with the Ohio Department of Education from 1986-2001. Before that, he served as superintendent of Butler Technology and Career Development Schools, a career-technical school district based in Hamilton, Ohio.
When he arrives, Sommers will replace former director Phil Berkenbile, who steps down Thursday. Kay Martin, former superintendent of Francis Tuttle Technology Center, will serve as interim director.
Sommers steps into his new role amid a major degree-completion effort that includes the department, as well as public and private colleges and universities across the state. Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin has called for a 67 percent increase in the number of college degrees and certificates earned in Oklahoma by 2023.
Higher education officials announced in September the state had surpassed its goal during the 2011-2012 academic year. The state's public colleges and universities produced an additional 1,934 degrees and certificates that year compared to the year before, topping the goal of 1,700 degrees and certificates for all public and private colleges and universities, as well as CareerTech centers.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister