Oklahoma Christian University pays tribute to three former Oklahoma governors, first ladies
During its annual Associates Dinner on Thursday, Oklahoma Christian University presented the Lee Allan Smith Spirit of Oklahoma Award to Brad and Kim Henry, George and Donna Nigh and Frank and Cathy Keating.
Oklahoma Christian University paid tribute to three former Oklahoma governors and first ladies at a gala Thursday.
The college held its 10th annual Associates Dinner on Thursday evening at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum. During the event, the college presented the Lee Allan Smith Spirit of Oklahoma Award to Brad and Kim Henry, George and Donna Nigh and Frank and Cathy Keating.
The university created the award last year to recognize people who have devoted their careers to the betterment of Oklahoma. At last year's dinner, OC presented the award to former Oklahoma City mayors Ron Norick and Kirk Humphreys and current Mayor Mick Cornett.
During the event, current Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin said she and the three former governors and their wives share a special bond, in that they understand the pressures that go along with running a state government.
Donna Nigh characterized the couple's years in the Governor's Mansion as “splendid misery” — a life with advantages and pressures very few people have the opportunity to experience, she said.
“I can truthfully say with all honesty that I loved every minute of it,” she said.
A major theme of discussion was the connections among the four governors and their spouses.
George Nigh said he was reminded of the fact that the Henrys had worked in his office during his administration — Brad Henry as an intern and his wife, Kim, as a secretary.
Fallin said she had been impressed by the leadership of Frank Keating and Brad Henry while she served as lieutenant governor during their administrations.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13287Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12869OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11351Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 10099Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8083Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5913Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 5414Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers