As the 1960s turn to the 1970s, Patience Latting begins a historic tenure in the mayor’s office.
• Henson Cargill hits No. 1 on the charts with the song “Skip A Rope” in 1968.
• Heritage Hills is designated as the city’s first historic preservation district in 1969.
• Construction begins in 1970 on the West Bypass (now Interstate 44).
• On April 13, 1971, Patience Latting is sworn in as Oklahoma City’s first woman mayor. She will serve 12 years in office, more than any other mayor.
• In 1972, the Oklahoma City Police Department hires its first armed female officers.
Source: City of Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City is marking its 125th anniversary with 125 facts about the city’s history.