Oklahoma City area firefighters launch 'Fired Up Outdoors' show
'Do-it-yourself' TV show debuts on KSBI-52 on Saturday. It grew from a popular series of Internet videos.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Their first videos were shaky and the footage “in this day and age, would be considered terrible,” he said.
But they gradually updated their equipment and created a website called Fired Up Outdoors. They started posting videos on the Internet and “it kind of took off,” he said.
That led them to recruit other outdoorsmen to add to video adventures on the website. They didn't intend to make it largely a firefighters' pro staff, Magee said. It just kind of happened that way.
Most of their outdoor adventures are based in Oklahoma, but they also feature elk hunting in Colorado and deer hunting in Kansas. A salmon fishing trip in Alaska is in the works. The men pay for the hunting and fishing trips themselves.
“It's do-it-yourself stuff,” Magee said. “We are hunting public land or private land that we basically knocked on doors and paid access fees to. We are trying to show that this is stuff anybody can do.”
“Fired Up Outdoors” has two financial sponsors, the Firefighters Credit Union in Tulsa and Magic Bait in Tulsa. Other companies have donated some gear, but getting financial backing has been difficult, Magee said.
“We are still trying to get some more sponsors,” Magee said. “Being a brand new show nobody has heard of before, it's tough. Nobody wants to take the chance.”
In the meantime, nobody is quitting their jobs.
“We are not making any money at it,” Magee said. “Some of us are juggling two jobs. We work hard so we can play hard. It's more for fun and being in the outdoors. We have a good time.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33271Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24362Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6895OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6548Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4476OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3398Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater