Oklahoma City-area school districts say security is beefed up
School leaders in some Oklahoma City metro-area districts say police presence is heightened after the shooting in Connecticut.
Photoview all 197 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The district also has reminded principals that yearly crisis-plan reviews are due by Jan. 2. The crisis plans lay out scenarios and what can be done in response. For example, there are rules for teachers, counselors and principals about what their duties are during a crisis.
Midwest City-Del City School District officials said they are using the Connecticut shooting to review their own safety measures.
“Our team met this morning to discuss safety measures for our district,” school district spokeswoman Stacey Boyer said Monday. “We will be conducting a thorough districtwide reassessment of our safety measures over the next weeks, through the month of January. We are asking staff for any suggestions they may have. We will be taking all suggestions into consideration in our planning process.”
Administrators in the Guthrie district said they consulted with local law enforcement over the weekend to discuss safety procedures. The result was Guthrie police officers visiting all of the district's schools on Monday and continuing the practice throughout the week, according to a news release.
In Oklahoma City, Friday was the final day of the district's fall semester. While some students are attending intersession classes this week, the bulk of students will return for the spring semester on Jan. 4.
School district spokesman Tierney Tinnin said officials don't have plans to change security protocols for students attending courses now or for the spring semester.
Contributing: Staff Writer Carrie Coppernoll
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 72931Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14541Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8647Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7401How to help tornado victims
- 6540Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6504Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6358Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims