Oklahoma City Barons: Barons come back from two-goal deficit, beat San Antonio in shootout
Oklahoma City fires 45 shots at Rampage goaltender Jacob Markstrom, but it still needs to go past regulation to win
The Barons fired 45 shots at San Antonio goaltender Jacob Markstrom on Friday night at the Cox Convention Center. It was a game they could have scored six or seven goals.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
On a night they were frustrated, the Barons still found a way to escape with a 3-2 shootout win.
Taylor Hall collected 10 shots, the second most in the American Hockey League franchise's history. Hall had an assist on both regulation goals but didn't score a night after recording a hat trick in a road win against the Texas Stars.
“It's kind of a bitter sweet feeling,” Hall said. “I'm glad we got the win, but it's a really frustrating night when you have that many chances and can't put it in for the boys. We had a lot of chances but couldn't score.”
A good example was the Barons peppered Markstrom with five shots but came up empty during a 5-on-3 power play late in regulation.
“Give their goalie credit. He played well,” said Jordan Eberle, who also had two assists. “Me and Hallsy had some backdoor chances. We hit the post a few times. We had others that just missed. But at the end of the day we found a way to win.”
The Barons (16-10-4) got the win by ending a shootout slump. OKC was 0-3 in shootouts, all three losses against Houston. In those losses the Barons were 2-of-14.
This time, Magnus Paajarvi scored on OKC's first shootout chance. After the Rampage tied it, Eberle scored. That was enough when Barons goaltender Olivier Roy stopped four of the Rampage's five shootout shots.
The Barons had 14 shots in the first period, 15 in the second, 14 in the third and one in overtime.
“San Antonio can give teams fits,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “Our guys just kept things simple, put it on net and rebounds were there. Eventually, when you make a goalie work that hard, things start to break down. But Markstrom played great. It was a great win by our guys.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes