Oklahoma City Barons: Barons hang on for win at San Antonio
After blowing leads and losing its two previous games, Oklahoma City never trails Sunday while beating Rampage 3-2.
SAN ANTONIO — The Oklahoma City Barons did not let a lead slip away this time around.
The Barons took a two-goal lead and hung on for a 3-2 American Hockey League victory Sunday over San Antonio before 6,858 fans at AT&T Center. Oklahoma City (28-22-8) notched a much-needed win after blowing leads and losing its previous two games, Friday and Saturday, against Rockford at the Cox Center.
C.J. Stretch scored just 1:52 into the game, and then Mark Arcobello cashed while on the power play in the second to give Oklahoma City a 2-0 lead. Eric Selleck of San Antonio cut the lead in half late in the second period, but defenseman Martin Marincin scored his sixth goal of the season — and the eventual game-winner for the Barons — halfway through the third. San Antonio (26-26-5) made it close with a power-play goal with 1:28 left in the game, but the Rampage failed to score again after pulling goaltender Dov Grumet-Morris for an extra attacker.
Olivier Roy tended goal for Oklahoma City, stopping 33 shots. Philippe Cornet and Toni Rajala had two assists each for the Barons, who remain in a tight Western Conference playoff chase.
OIL SPILLS ...
Forward Erick Lizon was released Sunday to make room for defenseman Brandon Davidson, who was recalled from Stockton of the Double-A East Coast Hockey League. Lizon, who is expected to rejoin the Wichita Thunder of the Central Hockey League, had been with Oklahoma City since Dec. 27. He had zero points and 30 penalty minutes in 17 games. ... The Barons will play at San Antonio again Wednesday at 7 p.m. Oklahoma City's next home game is Tuesday, March 19, against the Rochester Americans.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 81615Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14276Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8057Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7469Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7367How to help tornado victims
- 6230Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5754Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'