Oklahoma City Barons: Grand Rapids blows leads but still beats Barons in shootout
Oklahoma City newcomer, former NHL scoring champion Jonathan Cheechoo ties for game-high five shots on goal. Road trip continues 7 p.m. Friday at Milwaukee.
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Chad Billins and Gustav Nyquist were the only scorers in a shootout Wednesday night, helping Grand Rapids trim the Oklahoma City Barons 5-4 in an American Hockey League game before 5,531 fans at Van Andel Arena. Grand Rapids, the Detroit Red Wings' farm team, won the overtime session after blowing 2-0, 3-2 and 4-3 leads.
Griffins goaltender Petr Mrazek stopped all four Oklahoma City attempts in the shootout, including a try by former NHL scoring champion and Barons newcomer Jonathan Cheechoo. The former NHL All-Star was held scoreless in the game, although he and teammate Kristans Pelss tied with a game-high five shots on goal.
Another OKC newcomer, defenseman Brett Clark, had three shots on net and was minus-1.
Oklahoma City (19-16-6) picked up one standings point after coming back to tie 4-4. Mark Arcobello, Anti Tyrvainen, Tanner House and Martin Marincin had regulation goals for the Barons. Marincin finished with two points, assisting on House's goal that tied the game 3-3 with 4:06 left in the second period. Oklahoma City never led.
The Barons continue a three-game road trip at 7 p.m. Friday against the Milwaukee Admirals.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13061Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11652Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5853Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5268Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4352Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4093Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law