Oklahoma City Barons: Jordan Eberle scores hat trick in Barons' 5-2 win over Texas
If the NHL lockout ends before OKC comes back from road trip on Jan. 11, Eberle played his last game in the city in style.
There's a chance a New Year's Eve game was Jordan Eberle's last at the Cox Convention Center.
If it ends up being Eberle's final appearance in Oklahoma City, what a way to go out.
NewsOK Related Articles
Eberle registered his second hat trick of the season in a 5-2 Barons win over the Texas Stars Monday night in front of 4,976 fans.
“We were kind of talking how this might be (our last game here) because negotiations are going,” Eberle said. “But you have no idea what's going to happen. I'm just focusing on Houston tomorrow and see what happens.”
Eberle is playing with the Barons during the NHL lockout. Oklahoma City begins a four-game road trip on Tuesday. The Barons don't return home until Jan. 11, the pseudo deadline NHL owners have set to salvage the 2012-13 season.
During the 106-day lockout, Eberle has shown why he was an NHL All-Star last season. He scored his 21st, 22nd and 23rd goals and added an assist in Monday's win to take over the AHL scoring lead from teammate Justin Schultz.
All three Eberle goals were scored within a four-minute span late in the first period to help the Barons roll to their fourth consecutive win.
Set up by a beautiful pass from Taylor Hall, Eberle deked Texas goaltender Cristopher Nilstorp to give OKC a 1-0 lead with 4:16 left in the first period. Nine seconds later Eberle lit the lamp again with a top-shelf wrist shot. He scored a power-play goal with 1:33 left in the period.
“He's fun to watch,” said Barons coach Todd Nelson. “He scored three different ways tonight. The power play goal was an incredible goal. He caught the pass in tight to his feet, toe dragged the guy and beat the goalie with his backhand. That's a high skill level. Not too many guys are able to do that.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit