Oklahoma City Barons: Jordan Eberle scores two more goals, Barons win fifth straight game
Oklahoma City moves within two standings points of first place in South Division.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Compiling season highs in shots and goals, the Oklahoma City Barons romped to a 7-2 American Hockey League win over the Charlotte Checkers on Sunday afternoon at Time Warner Cable Arena.
Jordan Eberle scored his 10th and 11th goals of the season, his second straight two-goal game. Taylor Hall added three assists, and Justin Schultz scored his 10th goal and added two assists.
Oklahoma City (11-5-2) has won five consecutive games, including the first three games on a seven-game road trip that continues Thursday and Friday at Houston.
The Barons have collected 13 of 14 possible standings points their past seven games, including a two-game series sweep against Charlotte (12-5-2) to move to within two points of the South Division-leading Checkers. Oklahoma City's only loss during streak was in overtime to Toronto on Nov. 13.
Oklahoma City scored three goals in the first period Sunday and added three more in the second period. Anton Lander and Chris VandeVelde scored their first goals of the season, VandeVelde's a short-handed goal.
Schultz's goal was 22 seconds after Dane Byers scored midway through the second period. Teemu Hartikainen scored his sixth goal of the season and Magnus Paajarvi chipped in two assists.
The Barons, who feature three of the AHL top four scorers, the Barons have scored 29 goals the past six games.
Schultz leads the AHL in scoring with 28 points, including 18 assists. Eberle has 26 points.
Oklahoma City continues its road trip at 7:05 p.m. Thursday and Friday against the Houston Aeros.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13316Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11704Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5428Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5363Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4511OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4209Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 3958How to help tornado victims