Oklahoma City Barons: Offensively challenged Barons blanked by Texas
The Barons' defense is playing better, but with recent call-ups to Edmonton, the Oklahoma City offense is now struggling.
NewsOK Related Articles
Mark Arcobello, the Barons leading scorer after four young Oilers stars returned to Edmonton, fired nine shots at Campbell.
“Their goalie played well,” Arcobello said. “We hit a couple of posts. It comes down to bearing down in the scoring areas and getting the job done.”
After outshooting Charlotte 35-15 in regulation in an overtime loss Saturday night, the Barons allowed only 16 shots on Sunday.
“When you only give up 15 shots a game that's pretty good hockey,” Nelson said. “I'm happy with that. And we had 72 shots the past couple of nights. Good things will happen if we keep working that way. Right now, we're kind of struggling a bit.”
The Barons are 0-3-1 since the Oilers' four young stars — Jordan Eberle, Taylor Hall, Justin Schultz and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins — returned to Edmonton. Four more players, including forward Teemu Hartikainen, left Sunday for the Oilers training camp. At least two players will return to OKC when the NHL season begins next week.
The Oilers' season begins Sunday vs. Vancouver.
“Let's see what happens the next few days as far as who we get back from Edmonton,” Green said. “But this is going to be our team moving forward. We need to find a way to start clicking and move up the standings.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M