Oklahoma City Barons: Ryan Martindale's scores game-winner to life OKC over San Antonio
Ryan Martindale's second AHL goal was a dramatic game-winner that lifted the Barons to a 2-1 win over San Antonio in front of 4,208 fans Saturday night at the Cox Convention Center.
Ryan Martindale scored his first American Hockey League goal Friday night.
Martindale's second AHL goal was a dramatic game-winner that lifted the Barons to a 2-1 win over San Antonio in front of 4,208 fans Saturday night at the Cox Convention Center.
NewsOK Related Articles
“It was awesome, whatever you can do to help the team win,” Martindale said. “Everyone has been getting a lot of chances. It's nice to get one at the end and get a nice bounce.”
Martindale's goal with 1:09 remaining helped the Barons end a five-game losing streak. In the last three losses, Oklahoma City significantly outshot its opponent.
“When that goal went in, everyone on the bench lifted off their feet,” said coach Todd Nelson. “It was like the world was lifted off us. I'm proud of the guys. They put four good games together. We finally broke through tonight.”
Martindale's line scored both goals. Dane Byers, who scored the first goal, screened San Antonio goaltender Jacob Markstrom on Martindale's game-winner, a 40-foot slap shot.
“I think our line brings a little bit of everything, some sandpaper and some skill,” Byers said. “It's a good combination.”
Martindale made the Barons' opening day roster but was sidelined a month after tearing the meniscus in his right knee in early November. He played five games with Stockton in the ECHL before returning to Oklahoma City.
A third-round pick three years ago, taken 61st overall, Martindale is one of several players that will get more ice time with Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Taylor Hall, Teemu Hartikainen and Magnus Paajarvi in Edmonton.
“This is a big confidence boost for Marty,” Nelson said. “Hopefully he can keep rising. The last couple of games he's played really well for us.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena