Oklahoma City Barons: Talent-loaded Barons mired in four-game winless skid
San Antonio trims OKC 3-2 on Sunday. Barons return to Cox Center at 7 p.m. Tuesday against Peoria Rivermen. Tickets available at Cox Center box offices.
SAN ANTONIO — As talented as the Barons are — with the Edmonton Oilers' No. 1 forward line and several players back from last season's Western Conference champion — Oklahoma City is far from dominating the American Hockey League. San Antonio, a last-place team in the South Division, beat the Barons 3-2 on Sunday before 8,435 fans at the AT&T Center.
It was the second one-goal victory in as many nights by San Antonio over Oklahoma City, which started a three-week road trip Nov. 24 with back-to-back wins over first-place Charlotte, but ended it with a four-game winless skid against Houston and San Antonio. The Barons fell to 11-8-3 Sunday, and although they remain just three standings points behind Charlotte, they are only two standings points ahead of the last-place Rampage.
San Antonio (10-11-3) had goals from Jason DeSantis, Greg Rallo and James Wright, all in the second period.
Jordan Eberle had given OKC a 1-0 lead in the first period, before DeSantis and Rallo came back withy goals seven minutes apart. Oklahoma City's Teemu Hartikainen tied it 2-2 with a power-play goal with 6:59 left in the second period, before Wright's fourth-goal of the season just 3:08 later gave San Antonio the lead for good. The Rampage have won four straight games.
Oklahoma City begins a three game homestand, beginning 7 p.m. Tuesday against the Peoria Rivermen in the Cox Center. San Antonio visits Oklahoma City at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets for all three games are available at the Cox Center box office.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort