Oklahoma City Barons: Third period goals sink Barons
Charlotte survives late scare to beat Oklahoma City 3-2; teams play again Monday in North Carolina.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte scored two third-period goals and then survived a late scare to beat the Oklahoma City Barons 3-2 Sunday in an American Hockey League game at Time Warner Cable Arena.
Justin Shugg and David Rutherford beat Barons goaltender Olivier Roy about 10 minutes apart to give the Checkers a 3-1 lead. Roy was pulled for an extra attacker in the last minute, and Dane Byers moved the Barons within the final margin with his fifth goal of the season. Charlotte was able to kill the final 12 seconds of the game as 5,543 fans watched.
Roy, who played his first game since being recalled from Double-A Stockton, made 17 saves. The Barons fired 34 shots on Checkers goaltender Justin Peters. Eric Hunter, another recent addition from Stockton, scored the Barons' first goal of the game early in the third period.
Oklahoma City (26-21-7) and Charlotte (33-18-5) play again at 6 p.m. Monday.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11552Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10742OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6888Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5464Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5395Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4853Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 4694OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins