Oklahoma City Barons: Veteran NHL players key Barons' win over Houston
Jonathan Cheechoo, Brett Clark combine for five points as Oklahoma City holds off Aeros at Cox Center.
It appeared the veterans' contribution would allow the Barons to cruise to a win, but they had to sweat out the final 69 seconds.
Leading 4-2, Antti Tyrvainen couldn't coral a bouncing puck that would have produced an empty-net goal and a 5-2 cushion.
Less than a minute later, the Aeros clawed to within 4-3 on David McIntyre's second goal of the game with 1:09 left.
“I was disappointed giving up that goal, but was I upset with the whole third period,” Nelson said. “That's the third time here at home Houston has scored three goals in the third period. That's unacceptable and the team heard about it.”
Nelson was pleased with the first two periods when OKC outshot the Aeros 26-17, but Houston outshot the Barons 9-4 in the third period.
“The disappointing thing is it's more mental than anything,” Nelson said. “We've got to be stronger mentally. We knew Houston would make a push, but we have to be mature enough to push back.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort