Oklahoma City Barons: Veteran NHL players key Barons' win over Houston
Jonathan Cheechoo, Brett Clark combine for five points as Oklahoma City holds off Aeros at Cox Center.
It appeared the veterans' contribution would allow the Barons to cruise to a win, but they had to sweat out the final 69 seconds.
Leading 4-2, Antti Tyrvainen couldn't coral a bouncing puck that would have produced an empty-net goal and a 5-2 cushion.
Less than a minute later, the Aeros clawed to within 4-3 on David McIntyre's second goal of the game with 1:09 left.
“I was disappointed giving up that goal, but was I upset with the whole third period,” Nelson said. “That's the third time here at home Houston has scored three goals in the third period. That's unacceptable and the team heard about it.”
Nelson was pleased with the first two periods when OKC outshot the Aeros 26-17, but Houston outshot the Barons 9-4 in the third period.
“The disappointing thing is it's more mental than anything,” Nelson said. “We've got to be stronger mentally. We knew Houston would make a push, but we have to be mature enough to push back.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters