Oklahoma City Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution recognizes veteran
Vietnam veteran Thomas Roman was honored by the Sons of the American Revolution, Oklahoma City chapter
Members of the Oklahoma City Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution recognized a Vietnam veteran during their Feb. 11 meeting.
Retired Army 1st Sgt. Thomas C. Roman was awarded the SAR War Service Medal with Vietnam Bar and Certificate for heroic action March 6, 1968, near Kontum, South Vietnam.
When the convoy he was on came under intense enemy rocket and automatic rifle fire, Roman, then a sergeant, dismounted from his vehicle and concentrated his rifle fire on the rocket position, silencing it.
When a North Vietnamese soldier was sighted, Roman quickly fired on the enemy soldier, killing him. Because of his bravery, the enemy attack was unsuccessful. For his heroism Roman was awarded the Army Commendation Medal with V for valor.
William Melton is chapter spokesman
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater