Oklahoma City Council meeting notebook
Other items of note from Tuesday's Oklahoma City Council meeting.
Council approves cat program plan
The Oklahoma City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve an ordinance change that will allow the city animal shelter to launch its community cats program in partnership with the Central Oklahoma Humane Society. In the program, people who bring healthy stray and loosely owned cats to the shelter will have the option of allowing those cats to be sterilized, immunized and returned to their neighborhoods. The idea is to spare lives but also make a dent in the pet overpopulation problem by sterilizing the animals.
NewsOK Related Articles
• The council also gave formal approval for project requirements for the MAPS 3 downtown park, as recommended by the Citizen Advisory Board and its park subcommittee. Public involvement in designing the park and deciding what it will contain will continue as the city and a consultant begins to formulate a plan.
• An ordinance was introduced Tuesday that would extend the cable television and broadband Internet service franchise agreement between the city and Cox Communications for another five years. The agreement allows Cox to, in effect, serve as a utility when burying cable lines or stringing them overhead, and Cox pays the city a franchise fee and provides public access channels. A public hearing is set for June 12, and a vote July 3.
• An public hearing for a measure sponsored by Councilwoman Meg Salyer that would control what can be kept on balconies downtown was deferred to a future meeting at Salyer's request.
Michael Kimball, staff writer
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction