New lights, rest rooms and a host of other interior improvements will be part of a $4.8 million renovation to State Fair Arena. The Oklahoma City Council approved final plans for the work Tuesday. The renovation is part of a $75 million overhaul of State Fair Park being funded by an increase to the city’s hotel tax approved by voters in 2004.
The overhaul is meant to solidify the city as the premier national location for horse shows, which brings millions to the local economy yearly, officials say. The city will take bids Feb. 10. Work is expected to be complete by late May. Improvements to the outside of the arena were completed last year. Bryan Dean, Staff Writer
MORE FROM NEWSOK
• Installing new lights and fixtures in the arena’s performance area.
• Replacing two existing rest rooms.
• Improving access for people with disabilities.
• Upgrading fire alarms and sprinklers.
• Other improvements to the inside of the arena.