Oklahoma City house fire injures two men, kills three dogs
A father, and his adult son suffered smoke inhalation after fire broke out at southwest Oklahoma City home. Three dogs were killed in the blaze, Oklahoma City fire officials said.
A father and his adult son were hospitalized Saturday after a fire burned their southwest Oklahoma City home.
Fire officials said the two suffered smoke inhalation while trying to recover their pets from the house at 3913 SW 26.
Three dogs died inside the house, said Chris Jackson, battalion chief with the Oklahoma City Fire Department.
Jackson said the fire was reported just before 12:30 p.m. by several neighbors who saw heavy smoke and flames shooting from the roof of the building. Several explosions reported by witnesses were caused when an attached garage housing a stack of spare tires also caught fire, he said.
Jose Murguia, who was visiting his sister down the street from the fire, said he tried to help the men retrieve their pets but that all three were overwhelmed by the fire.
Murguia said shortly after he attacked the blaze with a water hose the fire wrapped around the back of the house, busting windows and sending flames shooting above the tree line.
“By the time I got down there the whole back of the house was lit on fire,” Murguia said. “I'm an animal lover … but there was really nothing we could do.”
Jackson said it appeared the fire started within or near the home's air conditioning unit, but the cause remains under investigation.
As much as 80 percent of the home was damaged by the blaze, he said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister