Oklahoma City man accused of punching pregnant girlfriend, woman's brother
Thomas I. Burns, 20, is charged with assault and battery after a woman's brother confronted him and was punched, police said
A man is accused of punching his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach and then punching her brother in the face when he confronted the man, police said.
Thomas Ivan Burns, 20, was charged Tuesday in Oklahoma County District with assault and battery and being drunk in a public place.
The girlfriend told Edmond police she was nine weeks pregnant when the incident occurred July 28 in the 500 block of S State.
It is unclear what prompted the altercation.
The woman's brother told police he heard Burns had punched her in stomach several times. He said when he asked the boyfriend why he punched his sister, the defendant “punched him in the head several times,” according to a probable cause affidavit.
The brother's nose was bloodied and he had a large black and blue knot over his right eye from getting punched, police reported.
While police were speaking with three witnesses, including two men who had separated the woman's brother and her boyfriend, Burns appeared from behind two trailers, according to the affidavit.
Burns, police reported, said the woman's brother “got in his face about punching his sister.”
When asked if he had been drinking, the defendant answered, “yes,” police said. When asked how much, he replied, “Quite a bit.”
He was being held Tuesday in the Oklahoma County jail, with bail set at $4,500, a jail official said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 20726Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16618Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 11933Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 11447Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10097Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9885OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9809Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss