Oklahoma City man charged with threatening wife, a witness in case against him
Shawn M. Guffin, 44, of Oklahoma City, tried to prevent his wife from being served a subpoena; the case was dismissed when victim didn't show up for the preliminary hearing.
A man accused of trying to prevent his wife from testifying against him was charged Wednesday in Oklahoma County District Court with threatening a state witness.
Shawn Michael Guffin, 45, of Oklahoma City, threatened to kill his wife and burn down their house if she was served a subpoena or he went to prison, according to a probable cause affidavit filed with the charge.
Debra Jean Guffin was a witness in an assault and battery case against her husband that prosecutors dismissed in March when the victim failed to appear for a preliminary hearing, court records show.
Oklahoma County sheriff's deputies attempted to serve a subpoena to Debra Guffin in February, but Shawn Guffin would not allow her to open the door of the couple's home in the 1000 block of NW 31, an Oklahoma City police detective reported.
Debra Guffin told the detective Shawn Guffin threatened to turn her into Social Security for fraud and he said he knew people who would have her arrested, according to the affidavit.
The woman's son told police he had heard Shawn Guffin threaten to kill Debra Guffin and burn down the house if she was served a subpoena or he went to prison, according to the affidavit.
The woman said she suffers from fibromyalgia and needs the money she gets from Social Security, the detective reported.
Shawn Guffin has two pending cases for assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, according to court records. The cases were filed earlier this month, two days apart. In the most recent case, Guffin also is charged with interruption of an emergency phone call.
Two similar cases were dismissed, including the case in March, records show.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 51863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14915Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9511Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7474Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6783Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6733Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims