Oklahoma City man shot mother 11 times before dismembering her, according to her autopsy
A mentally ill Oklahoma City man shot his mother 11 times — and later dismembered her corpse — with a handgun he'd bought days earlier in Del City, the woman's autopsy report shows.
Oklahoma City police Capt. Dexter Nelson said Gerald Hume was able to get the weapons because he lied on an application required for those wishing to purchase firearms.
The form lists two questions regarding an applicants' mental health, although it's not clear whether Gerald Hume was ever deemed mentally defective or if he's ever been forcibly committed to a mental institution.
A relative said the defendant is “a known schizophrenic” who hears voices and requires treatment, police detective David Jacobson reported in an affidavit for a search warrant.
Hume's next court date is a Feb. 13 preliminary hearing, at which time a judge will decide whether the defendant will stand trial based on evidence and testimony from witnesses.
A district judge denied bail for Hume due to the “gruesome nature of the alleged crime,” records show.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes