Oklahoma City MAPS 3 board adopts revised outline for senior centers
The advisory board that oversees Oklahoma City's MAPS 3 projects will take a second stab at attracting potential operating partners for the proposed senior health and wellness centers with a revised project outline adopted Thursday.
The YMCA and the Oklahoma City-County Health Department were the only organizations to submit proposals last year. Dover said as many as 10 different organizations have been participating in recent subcommittee conversations.
The new program outline for the senior centers clarifies that they can be built on land not yet owned by the city, and it opens the door for the MAPS money to be spent renovating or adding onto a current facility.
Potential center operators must demonstrate that they can develop fitness-related programming, offer social services and socialization outlets for seniors, educational classes in the arts, and a retail component.
David Todd, MAPS 3 program manager, said he hopes the revised project outline will prevent the city from having to subsidize any potential operating partner for the centers.
“We'd hoped by revising it so it's much more flexible that it would allow people to do things that might not need a subsidy,” he said.
The city council will review the new request for proposals at a meeting Jan. 2, and if approved, interested organizations will have 90 days to submit plans.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister