Share “Oklahoma City marks Earth Month in April”

Oklahoma City marks Earth Month in April

Oklahoma City is celebrating Earth Month in April with a variety of events and activities.
FROM STAFF REPORTS Published: March 31, 2012

April 21

EarthFest at Martin Park Nature Center, and Lake Overholser and Stinchcomb Wildlife Refuge cleanup: Family-oriented games, crafts and nature fair, sponsored by the Audubon Society and the Sierra Club, are set for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Martin Park, 5000 W Memorial Road. Call 755-0676 for more information. Volunteers are also needed to help pick up trash and clean up at Lake Overholser and the surrounding area. Participants will meet at the Overholser pavilion and work from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., and the event will feature free lunch and prizes. Call 702-8192 or email to register.

April 28

Recycle tires, ammunition, computers and pharmaceuticals, and free shred day: City residents can bring their water bill stubs and participate in a hazardous waste collection event from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at State Fair Park. Televisions, tires with rims and off-road tires won't be accepted. Also, shred financial and personal documents at Waste Management Recycle America, 5519 NW 4, from 7 to 11 a.m.

All month

Registrants are needed by Saturday at or by calling 525-8822 to participate in OKC Beautiful's 12th annual LitterBlitz campaign.

The first 100 city residents who bring their water bill and drop off hazardous waste at the city's hazardous waste facility, 1621 S Portland Ave., from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. each Saturday of the month will receive a free refrigerator thermometer.

From April through September, homeowner and neighborhood associations can schedule an annual Saturday morning sweep to clean up litter, refuse, trees and brush from around the area. The city will deliver a commercial trash bin on a Saturday morning and pick it up later in the day, paying for all disposal fees. Call 749-3092 for more information.

A program is ongoing to make available low-interest home loans for energy efficient changes to residents' houses. Residents with a household income of $100,000 or less can get four-year loans for up to $15,000. To apply, call the Community Action Agency at 232-0199.

Source: City of Oklahoma City