Oklahoma City nun celebrates her 100th birthday
An Oklahoma City nun, Sister Mary Clotilda Toelle, celebrated her 100th birthday on Wednesday with a party at the Sisters of Mercy convent on the Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City campus.
An Oklahoma City nun celebrated her 100th birthday Wednesday during a party held at the Sisters of Mercy convent adjacent to Mercy Hospital Oklahoma City.
Friends and family members joined Leona Lucille Marie Toelle, known as Sister Mary Clotilda, to mark her milestone birthday.
Toelle was born in Missouri and traveled with her family to Canute by train. She was a student at Mount St. Mary Academy in Oklahoma City when she decided at age 16 to join the Sisters of Mercy religious order. Toelle spent more than 60 years teaching religion, history and government at Catholic schools in Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas.
Toelle lives at the Sisters of Mercy convent and enjoys playing Scrabble and cards and assembling complex jigsaw puzzles.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort