Oklahoma City parents sentenced to 30 years in prison for starving their infant
Alysha Marie Anderson, 20, and Miguel Ontonio Soto, 21, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges in the June 3 death of 3-month-old Nicole Soto.
A judge sentenced an Oklahoma City couple to 30 years in prison and 15 years probation for starving their 3-month-old daughter to death.
Alysha Marie Anderson, 20, and Miguel Ontonio Soto, 21, pleaded guilty to second-degree murder charges in the June 3 death of Nicole Soto.
The infant was unresponsive when taken to a hospital and was pronounced dead because of starvation.
A doctor told police the baby appeared to be a victim of neglect and weighed only 3 pounds.
Medical staff said she weighed 6 pounds and 8 ounces at birth and did not have any medical problems.
The couple told police they forgot to feed the girl on numerous occasions, according to court documents. Neither parent commented in court Wednesday.
Police said the couple's two other children, a 22-month-old girl and 3-year-old boy, were taken into protective custody.
At the hospital, officers said the children appeared unkempt.
Prosecutors agreed to dismiss two child neglect charges filed against each of the parents in exchange for their guilty pleas on the murder charges.
During a search of the couple's apartment at 1656 SW 15, an investigator found that the home was filthy and infested with cockroaches. The bed sheets for the children were covered in filth and heavily stained, police said.
Officers also found rotting food in the refrigerator and one broken baby bottle in the home, police said.
Prosecutors said the children will likely be adopted by relatives of the couple.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated