Oklahoma City parishioners celebrate 'Our Lady'
Parishioners at St. Joseph Old Cathedral celebrated the feast day of Our Lady of Guadalupe with performances by matachine dancers and other special activities.
The early morning gatherings called Mananitas symbolize the time the apparition appeared to Diego, local leaders have said.
Local leaders have said Diego's encounter with Our Lady was the beginning of a large Christian conversion among the natives in Mexico. Dec. 12 is a national holiday in Mexico, and millions of worshippers participate in public demonstrations of adoration in Mexico City that day.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes