Oklahoma City police seek information about dead newborn found by dog
The body of a newborn baby girl was discovered Saturday morning by a dog that brought the body to its owner's home at 15609 S Air Depot in Oklahoma City. Originally, police said the newborn was a boy.
No one has come forward with information about the body of a newborn found in a field in southeast Oklahoma City, police said Monday.
The body of a baby girl was discovered about 8 a.m. Saturday when a dog brought the body to the dog's owner's home at 15609 S Air Depot.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Originally, police reported the newborn was a boy, but they corrected that report Monday.
Capt. Dexter Nelson said no one has reported a missing baby, and no has come forward with any information regarding the newborn.
“We are asking anyone in the public who knows someone who was pregnant not too long ago who is not pregnant now or if they believe this child could be that child or involved in that situation to call us,” Nelson said.
“We don't know if the baby was stillborn or what the cause of death was in this particular case, but that's why homicide is investigating.”
Nelson said anyone with a child 1 week old or less old can drop the infant off at a fire station, hospital, police station or child welfare agency with no questions asked under the Safe Haven Law, which was passed in 2001.
Police said the dog that found the baby was known to roam the neighborhood, which is making it difficult to pinpoint where the baby's body was left.
Police ask that anyone with information about this incident call Crime Stoppers at 235-7300 or 231-2121.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister