• The process for referring students to the school doesn't match the referral process the district uses.
Lighthouse of Hope Academy
Lighthouse of Hope Academy would serve students in the 73114 ZIP code, which is known to be an area with high poverty and crime.
It would be in northwest Oklahoma City on property owned by Britton Christian Church.
Carter listed in a letter the reasons the application was rejected:
• The application does not name all the people who created the proposal. One contact name and phone number corresponds to Britton Christian Church; however, school boards cannot sponsor charter schools that are affiliated with churches.
• The plan for special education doesn't match state law.
• The budget doesn't provide for enough teachers or for proposed after-school and summer programs.
• The education plan “does not contain any strategies that are not presently being employed” in Oklahoma City Public Schools.