Oklahoma City schools to close tomorrow, Friday
Oklahoma City Public Schools will be closed tomorrow due to freezing temperatures, parents who received letters from students reported Wednesday.
Videoview all videos
Jan 6Rick Smith, forecaster with the National Weather Service...
Jan 5Rick Smith, warning coordination meteorologist with the...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Tulsa Public Schools announced they will close for the rest of the week, and Superintendent Keith Ballard said in a news release that closing the schools was not an easy decision to make but that many of his district's students walk as far as two miles to get to school.
"We've had a number of principals express concerns that their children don't have adequate outerwear for such extreme temperatures," Ballard said.
Temperatures tonight are forecasted to reach 12 degrees with a high near 17 degrees on Thursday. Wind chill values put the low Thursday at -8 degrees.
Putnam City Schools spokesman Steve Lindley, said their schools will likely remain open, however, a phone message was sent out today urging parents to bundle their kids up.
Edmond and Norman school districts reported they will likely remain open tomorrow.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims