The Oklahoma City Public Schools Teacher of the Year will be named this week.
Nine finalists were selected from among more than 60 individual school Teachers of the Year throughout the school district.
The 2013 winner will be named Thursday at the Stars of Education event, a ceremony put on by the Foundation for Oklahoma City Public Schools, which organizes the Teacher of the Year awards process. Each finalist will receive a $750 prize, and the winner will receive an additional $750.
A committee of educators selected the finalists and will choose the Teacher of the Year. Applicants must complete a portfolio, a video of his or her classroom teaching and an interview.
The finalists are:
• Susan Bumgarner, a prekindergarten teacher at Wilson Arts Integration Elementary School.
• Suzanne Carter, a first-grade teacher at Telstar Elementary School.
• Sherry Dew, a seventh-grade geography and Oklahoma history teacher at Webster Middle School.
• Adelita Dixon-Hernandez, a dance teacher at Capitol Hill High School.
• Mary Johnson, a kindergarten teacher at Rancho Village Elementary School.
• Heather Meldrum, a fifth-grade teacher at Stanley F. Hupfeld Academy at Western Village.
• Michael Spellis, a pre-algebra and algebra teacher at Taft Middle School.
• Lisa Ummel-Ingram, a fifth-grade teacher at Wheeler Elementary School.
• Kristin Whitmore, a third-grade teacher at Sequoyah Elementary School.