Oklahoma City teachers concerned about classrooms without working locks
Teachers at two Oklahoma City schools say their schools have classrooms with no locks or broken locks. Other classrooms without locks dot the district. District officials say they are fixing the problem.
Some Oklahoma City classrooms are missing locks as construction workers renovate schools throughout the district, and teachers say they worry for the safety of students.
Videoview all videos
Feb 14Oklahoma City Public Schools have two buildings that do...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“If a shooter would come through the door, my classroom would be the first one hit,” said one English teacher. “My job is to protect the kids. I'm supposed to. I can't do that if my door doesn't lock.”
At least two schools have multiple classrooms without proper locks.
District officials are working to fix the problem as quickly as possible, said Jim Burkey, chief operations officer for Oklahoma City Public Schools.
At least one school was supposed to have been updated by Thursday, he said.
A woman who teaches math to special education students said other classrooms at her school are missing locks altogether.
“It's very unsafe,” said one middle school math teacher. “It's scary.”
She said that she and others were hopeful that repairs would be made during Christmas break, especially considering the Connecticut shooting in December. Nothing changed, she said.
“We keep asking, ‘What do we do? What do we do? If someone came in and did something like that, what do we do?'” she said. “Where do we take our kids?' We can't lock the room. Anybody can walk in.”
Officials also are looking at how to prevent the problem in the future, Burkey said.
Trouble has arisen after contractors complete their work and turn the building back over to the district, Burkey said. Construction workers use temporary locks so they can get in and out of classrooms as needed. When contractors leave, the district is responsible for replacing the temporary construction locks with new locks.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister