Oklahoma City teachers concerned about classrooms without working locks
Teachers at two Oklahoma City schools say their schools have classrooms with no locks or broken locks. Other classrooms without locks dot the district. District officials say they are fixing the problem.
Videoview all videos
Feb 14Oklahoma City Public Schools have two buildings that do...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Burkey said officials are working to prevent that from happening by taking the following steps:
• Instead of allowing contractors to throw away old locks, the district will hold on to the hardware in case new hardware isn't available or doesn't come in on time. “We'll at least have something to install,” Burkey said. Then, when the new, correct locks arrive, the old ones can be ditched.
• By stockpiling a variety of old locks and keeping them on hand, maintenance workers will have access to hardware that can be installed in a pinch.
• Doors that lock from inside are the new standard for schools, said Scott Vrooman, owner and principal architect at TriArch, a firm based in Tulsa that has designed schools across the state. It's also a cheap way to improve security on older buildings, he said.
“What you want to do with architecture is delay the predator, make it harder to get in the door,” Vrooman said. “The No. 1 thing is the locks on the inside of the doors. It's the lowest-budget item with the highest rate of return.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 46110Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14982Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9556Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8109Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7765Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7102Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7082Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena