Oklahoma City Thunder: Eight minutes of 'wow' basketball sank the Golden Oldies
The aged Lakers can't handle the Thunder's fresh legs and quick hands, the young springs of Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant
Videoview all videos
Dec 8Kevin Durant scored a game-high 36 points and Russell...
Dec 8Berry Tramel and John Rohde explain how the Thunder was...
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
That was 15 fast-break points in 51/2 minutes.
“Easy points,” is how Westbrook described them, on a night when he scored 27 in the first half and left the Lakers shaking their heads.
“He just went crazy on us,” said L.A. coach Mike D'Antoni. “They are a great shooting basketball team and they hit a hot quarter.”
And left the Lakers at 9-11. The Lakers were short-handed, with Steve Nash and Pau Gasol out, but those grizzled vets will only make the Lakers older.
What? Nash is going to slow Westbrook?
Duhon looked like Ramon Sessions, the point guard the Lakers imported late last year to deal with the likes of Westbrook, and that got L.A. nowhere.
The Thunder now has beaten the Lakers seven times in nine meetings in the calendar year 2012, including the five-game triumph in the Western Conference semifinals last May.
L.A. went out and got Dwight Howard and Nash to combat the Thunder. Howard was a monster Friday night, with 23 points and 18 rebounds, and Kobe, 35 points on 11-of-24 shooting, continues to defy the age gods.
But otherwise, the Lakers just look old and worn out.
The Boomers look young and fresh. Thunder hands are active and feet are lively.
The Lakers knew the feeling. But not now.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister